Friday, October 21: Isaiah 50- More about THE Servant

This chapter continues with more about the servant. Verses 4-9 attracted my attention as I listened to attributes of the servant. I found them thought provoking for my life, as one who follows the Lord as His servant.

Verse 4: The servant listens to the Lord and from his listening and learning can tell others (he has an instructed tongue). Do I give apt attention to God’s instruction and God’s Word so much so that when appropriate I can explain things to others with ‘instructed tongue?’

Verse 5: The servant is not rebellious and does not shrink back from what God leads and instructs him to do. Do I follow through on those things I believe God wants me, personally, to do?  Is my life guided by the general instructions in God’s Word given to all who follow Him?

Verse 6: The servant will suffer humiliation and pain for the sake of his master the Lord.  Even when God’s way is difficult, do I give myself fully to the way of God surrendering self for the sake of my master?

Verse 7: The servant sets his face like flint to do the bidding of God, his master. Do I live locked into God’s agenda and way, or do I allow distractions to lead me off God’s track?

Verses 8-9: The servant knows it is God’s judgments that matter in the end, thus he trusts God to be his vindication when accused and judged others. Is my trust in God?  Do I live for the Lord or the accolades of other people in my life?

Wow, as I was typing these thoughts, I discovered much more depth to these words from the Lord than I anticipated when I began. Big question.  Am I a good servant of God, following the example of THE Servant of the Lord, Jesus, the Righteous Son?

O, God, You have set the standard high and Jesus followed perfectly. I am not close. I fall short regularly and routinely. Despite my failings, I choose to follow and to set Jesus as the one whom I will emulate. I know I can only do that as I humble myself and draw upon the strength, wisdom and leading of the Holy Spirit.

To be wholly Yours, O God…

Help me to be wholly Yours. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment