Saturday, October 15: Isaiah 45- Controls the nations.

 

It was common in the days of Isaiah for there to be ‘national gods,’ a particular god who watched over a country. Some countries had a pantheon of gods. Kings often claimed that their god told or directed them to make war against and take over other countries. What I find fascinating is that in this chapter the Lord God makes claim to absolute power and authority.  There are no other gods apart from Him. Invoking sovereign power, the Lord God will raise up and use Cyrus to restore Jerusalem even though Cyrus does not believes in Him. In other words, the God of the Bible claims sovereign power to influence and use for His purposes even people who do not worship Him!

I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you [Cyrus], though you have not acknowledged me, … I will raise up Cyrus in my righteousness: I will make all his ways straight. He will rebuild my city and set my exiles free, but not for a price or reward, says the LORD Almighty (5, 13).

Now that is sovereign power! Such is the One we serve…

I pondered this amazing display of sovereignty, this declaration of Cyrus is about 200 years before he is born! I sat thinking about all this. The Lord God not only claims sovereignty, He delivers!

I find myself simply in awe of God!  What a wonderful foundational thought upon which to build my preparation to worship the Lord tomorrow!

Thanks be to the Lord, that He, the one who controls the universe and everything therein, invites me, invites us, to come into His presence in worship. What a privilege, what an honor, what a delight to worship the Lord! In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment