Thursday, October 13: Isaiah 43- The good news message.

This chapter is a gem, a powerful gospel presentation. It opens with words like ‘created’ ‘redeemed’ and God’s promise to be ‘with them,’ which are used to describe God’s love for Israel.

In the middle God provides an all encompassing description of himself: "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.  I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior (10-11). God is sovereign; there is no doubt about it. And God alone is Savior, there is no other.

The chapter concludes with an incredible picture of God’s forgiveness… forgiveness because Israel was chosen, not necessarily deserving.

The wild animals honor me …, because I provide water in the desert and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise.

"Yet you have not called upon me, O Jacob, you have not wearied yourselves for me, O Israel. … But you have burdened me with your sins and wearied me with your offenses.

"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more (20-25).

I sat this morning with those 3 scenes as truths dancing in my thoughts.

I am loved, redeemed and chosen by God.  The one and only God and Savior, who created all things visible and invisible. And this Savior, God, forgives me not because I deserve it -I do not- I am filled with sin and continually sin. And yet He forgives me for [His] own sake, and remembers [my] sins no more.

That is gospel and that deserves meditation throughout the day.

O, Lord God, Redeemer and Savior, You are good and Your love endures forever. I do not deserve Your forgiveness yet You lavish it upon me and upon all Your chosen. Halleluiah! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment