Monday, October 17: Isaiah 46- God's salvation is coming.

The early portion of Isaiah was filled with judgment and woe. Since chapter 40, God has been announcing His love, care and salvation. Even though Israel is imperfect at best and at times even debased, God has not removed His love and God has not canceled their covenant.

Verses 3-4 resonated with me: Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all you who remain of the house of Israel, you whom I have upheld since you were conceived, and have carried since your birth. Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. God’s care will carry Israel throughout the generations…

My devotions bounced from Israel to me, to us.  God treats those of us in this family today the same way. God has upheld us since we were conceived and carried us since our birth. He will do so into our old age. God sustains and rescues.

There is a doctrine in the Reformed branch of the church sometimes called ‘the perseverance of the saints’. I had a professor who I believe more accurately named it the “perseverance of God for the saints.” See it is God who sustains us. God who will see us through to eternity. God who watches over, protects and rescues us. Romans 8 captures it beautifully in the NT, even as Isaiah 46:3-4 does in the OT.

I sit and marvel this morning that my eternity is secure, not because I have earned it or I can even keep it now that God has graced me with it. NO, I am secure and my future inheritance is secure because God guarantees it.

For some I suppose this could invite laziness in the faith.  However for me, it fills me with awe and love and appreciation for God who loves and sustains me.

Praise to the Lord the Almighty, the King of creation. O my soul praise Him for He is my help and salvation!!!. Alleluia, Amen!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment