Wednesday, October 12: Isaiah 42- A bruised reed he will not break.

In this song to God’s servant, the one who will save Israel, I found myself delighting in a number of the images. Top on my list was verse 3-4a:

A bruised reed he will not break,

and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.

In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;

he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth.

The Servant of the Lord will bring justice on the earth.  Oh, how we need justice! The broken, the abused, the battered, the down trodden, the beaten, He cares for. They are pictured so vividly in verse 3; A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.

What a picture of Jesus!  The one who cared for the widow, who’s son had died; who spoke life and truth to the women caught in adultery; the Samaritan woman;  who set Mary of Magdala free from seven demons (Mk 16:9, Lk 8:2); who healed the epileptic son;  who fed 5000; and the one  on whose every word 4000 desparate people hung.

These words cause me to think about today.  Am I willing to be Jesus’ eye and ears, the one who hears and sees the cries of hurting today? Am I willing to be His hands and feet, the one who runs to lift up and help those in need today?

The Holy Spirit pushes these questions deep into me.  Will I be a “Good Samaritan” and a faithful representative of Jesus, the Servant of the Lord, of whom it was written:

A bruised reed he will not break,

and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.

In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;

he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth.

Dear Jesus, I pray so… I pray I will be Your man, an able representative for You in my world. Holy Spirit, tune my ears to the plight for whom God’s heart breaks… and then send me forth in the power of Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment