Friday, October 7: Isaiah 38- Facing Death

A summary of this chapter: The faithful Hezekiah was told he would die… stunned he prayed to God begging for more time… God answered and gave him 15 additional years…

Someone said there are two guarantees in this life, death and taxes. This chapter fired up all kinds of thoughts for me about handling death. I notice that I cannot do what I once was able to do.  My wife and I are busily working with our sibs helping our parents who are in or nearing their 90’s.

I wonder how I will handle the time when age catches up to me? I wonder and I talk with God.

I wonder how I would handle a significant illness? I wonder and I talk with God.

I wonder how I would handle the death of someone from my immediate family? I wonder and I talk with God.

I really do talk with God about these things. They are not everyday or even every month conversations with the Lord but when something sparks, I talk and muse with God.

Death will come someday and I think I know that this is not my home, heaven is. I am not afraid of death; the process of dying (at least some of them), however, I am not so comfortable there.

How are you handling your mortality? That’s the main question that arises as I read today’s chapter in the light of God speaking to me….

My hope is to live faithfully all the days the Lord God gives me and to cross from this world into the next faithfully, as well… praising God, bringing glory and honor to His name and loving the people around me.

Lord, may I live strongly for You all the days of my life, clear through to the days I live it with You in eternity. May I love You and enjoy You forever. I need Your Holy Spirit with me to do this, Lord. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment