Friday, October 28: Isaiah 56- A simple summary.

Summaries help me. The great creeds of the church –Apostles’ and Nicene for example- help me maintain a sense of the core of God’s teaching. The great commandment to love God with heart, soul, mind and strength and love neighbors as ourselves, helps me understand the essence of a life lived for God.

Today I saw another ‘summary.’ Verses 1-2: This is what the LORD says: "Maintain justice and do what is right, for my salvation is close at hand and my righteousness will soon be revealed. Blessed is the man who does this, the man who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil."

Verse one was most helpful for me… Maintain justice and do what is right…. I can use that as a plumb line for my living.

Maintain justice; stand up for those who have no voice, don’t let bullies get away with their offensive actions, help those too weak or downtrodden or incapable of helping themselves…

Do what is right; tell the truth rather than lie, keep my marriage bed pure, control the envy of my eyes (I am thinking through the last 6 commandments), serve others, live with integrity…

Easier to write about than live, but that’s okay with me. Goals help me focus. I rarely hit my goal perfectly, instead they motivate me to keep trying and work at it…

This morning’s Word gives me another summary to ponder, which will help me keep my life in line with God’s ways.

O, God, help me to do as You say; to maintain justice and do what it right. Lord, I know that without the strength and power of Your Spirit within, I have no chance. Holy Spirit, I know You are within, the Father and Son have promised so.  Please help me attune my life to Your voice so that I can better hear and respond to Your correction, leading and voice. I pray this through Jesus, my Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment