Friday, December 2: Matthew 7- Judging others.

 

Like it or not, judging others is part of human life. We do it all the time and for the most part we do it by external factors. We meet someone new and internally we are making judgments based on their appearance and dress, the way they speak, vocabulary, how they carry themselves, comments they make… and so on. It is called first impressions. And they count, just ask people applying for jobs.

Then as we get to know people we continue to make judgments, hopefully based on more substantive matters. Let’s face it, we are regularly making judgments about people.

Because of this, Jesus’ Words struck home as I read his opening salvo… Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

It is the second paragraph that really hit me, the plank and speck paragraph. Jesus played hardball.  He gives my neighbor the speck and I have the plank, which tells me I need to deal with my problems at home –in my life- before I try to solve others’ problems. And often that which I notice (and judge) in other’s lives reveals issues in my own life.

One thing I am trying to do (unfortunately, I am more unsuccessful than successful) is to make a mental note of what issues I judge in others and then examine my life through those lenses. Hopefully, that is one way I can live out Jesus’ Word to remove my plank before I take on other’s specks…

Lord, I need a lot of help with this judging thing.  Please help me. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment