Wednesday, December 14: Matthew 17- As the dust settles.

Jesus’ message to His disciples has shifted. Since the end of last chapter Jesus has been weaving in word of his death and resurrection wherever possible when He speaks with His disciples. He is preparing them for the future.  He is preparing them for his death.

Face it, when Jesus is arrested and dies, their lives will be turned upside down. Their ‘miracle worker’rabbi will go from revered ‘do-no-wrong’ to arrested and crucified within less than a day. My world would be shaken and theirs was, I am sure.

So Jesus is preparing them, teaching them so that the blow can be understood, if not immediately, at least when the dust settles.

Jesus’ teachings are preparing His disciples for the future.

As I mulled on that, I realized that God’s Word, the Bible, plays a similar role in our lives. The Word teaches us about the things of God and prepares us for our future. When believers die, God’s Word and the teachings about eternal life comforts me. Sure I grieve but as the ‘dust’ settles in my life,,I understand.

The Word teaches me about forgiveness so that when I am hurt by others, I can understand the power of forgiveness. Do I access this truth immediately? Generally not, the sting of the hurt often cuts deeply but as the dust settles in my life, Jesus’ teachings on forgiveness ring true and I take the gamble to forgive. That has never been a decision I have regretted! Never…

And so I found myself thinking about all the ways God’s Word prepares me for life and for death.

Thank You, my God, for Your Word, for the teaching and truth of the Holy Bible, the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments,  It prepares me, it comforts me, it teaches me.

Your Words are life, O God, and I feed on them by faith with thanksgiving… Praise Jesus. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment