Monday, December 19: Matthew 21- Responses to Jesus.

I did a double take. I had to stop and reread verses 14 and 15. Did I read what I thought I read? Yes!

Check it out for yourselves… The blind and the lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them. But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple area, "Hosanna to the Son of David," they were indignant.

I realize that previously Jesus has just driven out all of the money changers from the temple courts, something that surely riled the chief priest and teachers of the law. But these verses say that it wasn’t Jesus’ temple actions, instead it was His healings and the children’s chant that made them indignant! Indignant is a strong word.  Why would a person react so strongly and negatively to healings and children chanting "Hosanna to the Son of David."

I wondered how the same Jesus that I love and serve could engender such revilement in others. Jesus does that. He causes reactions and He calls people to decide who He is to them. Is He your God and Savior, or is He something else?

This is the eternal question. Who do you believe Jesus is?

With Christmas –the birth of Jesus- on the horizon, it is good time for all of us to ponder the question, Who do I believe Jesus to be? …

And even as you ponder this remember, too. Answering this question is more than an intellectual exercise, it is a faith statement tht determines how we will live and what we will believe.

Merry Almost Christmas…

Yes, Jesus, I believe you are the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of God. 100% God and 100% human… the God-man. I believe in You and I believe You and I will gladly follow You all the days of my life. Hallelujah Amen!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment