Wednesday, December 21: Matthew 23-, Integrity & honesty...

The chapter for me was summed up in the opening sentences of Jesus’ speech. Jesus said: The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

Is that an indictment or what?

Let the sting of his closing sentence smack you again. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

It is all too easy to point fingers at those ‘Pharisees,’ yet God won’t let me off that easily. His Word to me is simple, ‘Don’t emulate the Pharisees’.

As I flip Jesus’ Word over and point it positively at myself, I hear the Spirit chiding: “Be a man of integrity. Let your life actions speak the same message as your words. Practice what you preach…”

Those are strong words. To live them I first must take an honest look at my life. Where am I living up to these words and where am I falling short. Now my work is laid out for me.  I have to shore up my failing, I have to deal with my inconsistencies and areas of dis-integrity.

I have much work to do! How about you?

Lord, I seek to live a consistently life that honors You. But I often miss the mark.  There are many inconsistencies in my life. Please forgive me and more importantly, Lord, help me to gain victory in my areas of sin. Transform my life into one that is consistent. Discipline me as needed so that my life –words and actions- will represent You well, my Lord and my God. In and through Jesus, I pray. Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment