Saturday, December 17: Matthew 20- What do you want me to do for you?

I found myself captivated by Jesus’ question to the two blind men. "What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked (32). I found myself wondering what I would answer if Jesus asked that of me? Would I want a million bucks? Happiness for myself, my wife or my kids? Would I ask for something I want or something for someone else?

I never did come up with an answer, in part because I knew it was only a mind exercise and not real.  And partly because I chose not to indulge my selfish self and I knew that was the direction my response was headed.

I read on. "Lord," they answered, "we want our sight." Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him (33-34).

The word ‘compassion’ hit me next. Jesus had compassion on them. They had a major need. Their request of Jesus caused Him to have compassion on them.

I circled back to my response to Jesus’ question and I wondered if asked ,would my response be highly selfish or would it be so significant that it elicited compassion from Jesus?…

I’m not sure.

What I do know is that it is easy for me to go to highly selfish places…

Lord Jesus, my heart is deceitful. I am in great need of Your forgiveness and cleansing. With Isaiah I cry, “I am a man of unclean lips…” And with David I cry, “cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean. Wash me and I will be whiter than snow…”

Please, Lord, please…

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment