Tuesday, December 27: Matthew 28- Jesus is alive.

Jesus came not only to die but to be raised to life again, a witness to all who believe that we, too, will be raised to life again!

I noticed an intriguing aspect of the story.  After the women found the tomb empty and spoke with the angels, they headed back to tell the disciples. As they were walking back, Matthew tells us, Jesus met them (9). I found it interesting that Jesus found them; Jesus met them. Could it be that Jesus intentionally sought them and met them? What I saw in those three words from the text is that Jesus made sure He found the women. And even more, after greeting them, He told them, Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me (10). Jesus was making sure He met up with the others as well.

After the separation of death, Jesus made sure He reconnected with His disciples.

I thought…that’s Jesus.  He meets us in our bewilderment, in our hardships, in our pain.  He pursues us. Jesus didn’t simply speak platitudes when he said, And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age (20).

In the Old Testament God says to Joshua As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you (Joshua 1:5).

We serve a God who pursues and who stays with us… no matter what.

I spent a few minutes thinking about how God has been with me throughout my life, through thick and thin, and now I just want to thank Him. Psalm 121 comes to mind, my prayer for today.

 

I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip-- he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you-- the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore Amen. (Psalm 121:1-8)

 

 

A word about Jeremiah

Jeremiah, sent to Judah, was God's last prophet to Judah, before their exile.  The people of Judah had become hopelessly attached to Idols and immorality, so God through Jeremiah sent the message that if the people repented God would spare them from Babylon.  Jeremiah preached this message for 40 years, but the people didn't listen to him.  The result of Judah's repeated sin the fall of Jerusalem to Babylon and the exile of all Judah's people.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment