Thursday, December 15: Matthew 18- Who's the greatest?

Jesus teaches on a number of topics in this brief chapter. Greatness and forgiveness bracket topics like ‘causing others to sin’ and ‘lost sheep’. I found it an interesting mix of issues.

The ‘greatest in the kingdom’ issue is where I found myself dwelling as I spent my morning with the Lord. It’s only a couple of sentences, here’s what Jesus taught:

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven (1-4).

We,humans have this infatuation with greatness. It is not simply a desire to do our best, it runs deeper than that. It often seems to have to do with recognition, awards, halls of fame, being top of some list, number of championships, size of ones portfolio, etc. And people seem quite willing to ‘bend’ rules or flat out break them to achieve greatness. Steroid and performance enhancing drugs used in sports is one case in point.

The disciples come to Jesus and ask Him about greatness. Underlying their ‘who is the greatest’ question seems to be either ‘which one of us is the greatest’ or ‘how do we get to be considered the greatest?’ Like us, they were infatuated with greatness.

Jesus’ reply must have been a mind bender. Become like a child?!? I imagine Jesus using a toddler or preschooler as his living example.

A child utterly dependent, of no legal standing in the eyes of the Roman government, a child simple in thought, generally accepting of what the Father or parent says and generally less jaded by the world than adults. A child.

I thought about the various qualities of a child.

Jesus calls us to get past our adult notions of greatness and to humble ourselves like a child, then we will be great in God’s kingdom. I have much to chew on… much!

Lord, I don’t get all You seem to be saying. Throughout the day show me more of how a child lives, so that I can carry myself in a manner that pleases You. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment