Saturday, December 10: Matthew 14-

The report of John the Baptist’s beheading is a despicable account of abusive power. John is bound and imprisoned because he dared to call King Herod’s adultery with his brother’s wife unlawful. Although he longed to kill John, silencing his critic, John was a political nightmare because the people revered John.

Then comes the party, a liquored oath, a provocative dance, a cunning wife and John is beheaded.

My thoughts travel in two directions…

First, I thought about the abuse of unchecked power. Herod could do what he pleased. He had the power! It is said that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Well, the phrase isn’t biblical but it is generally accurate. The selfish-sin nature in us seems to become unbridled of any conscience when a person gains absolute power. Even as I was musing on the nature of power, the Spirit prompted me to consider those areas in which I have power. I have some places of power, none absolute, but power nonetheless. For example:

within my family,

over my time and checkbook

certain areas at my work

and so on.

Next the Spirit prompted me to consider how I was using my power. Was it honorably or recklessly? It was as if the Spirit was saying, “Don’t be a Herod. Don’t let the sin within you get the best of you…”

The second was in the arena of oaths. Herod, probably in ‘good’ spirits from wine, said so all would hear, that he would give his daughter anything she asked for. When she returned asking for the head of John the Baptist, Herod felt bound by his oath and complied by killing John. It struck me, as strange as it might seem, that in this moment Herod was a man of integrity. He kept his oath! First, I pondered oath making.  Herod should never have said what he said, a reminder to me that I have to be careful about my words. Second, Herod kept his word, reminding me that I need to be a man of my word, too. When I give my word, people should understand that my word is my bond…

Such were my meditations for today.

Father, Jesus, Spirit, I feel pierced. First by the ways I am prone to misuse power and then by the way I can give my word only to forget or reneg later.

O, God, I fall so short of Your desire for me as a Christ-follower. Please help me to grow, to mature. Use my time in Your word to be a transforming agent in my life that I might be more Christ-like. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment