Friday, December 9: Matthew 13- What is it worth to you?

Clearly the kingdom of God is the subject of this chapter. Jesus layers parable after parable teaching about the kingdom of God. I found myself ruminating on two short ones near the end.  

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it (44-46).

These two parables ask a penetrating question, ‘How much do you value God’s kingdom?’ Or put another way, ‘How much will you sacrifice for God’s kingdom?’

According to these parables the kingdom is worth everything… there is no sacrifice to large, no price too great to gain the kingdom… sold all he had and bought that field (44); sold everything he had and bought it (46).

It didn’t take long for me to begin looking within.  How much do I value, how much do I sacrifice for God’s kingdom?

My internal picture isn’t pretty. I sometimes get the equation upside down thinking about how much I will get from the kingdom, not how much will I give. I feel so ‘little’ realizing how often and much I distort God’s kingdom into something that serves me. Scripture is so correct… the heart is deceitful about all things (Jeremiah 17:9)

Lord, as we move toward the celebration of Jesus’ birth, so much attention is focused on gifts I will give and receive from others. Christmas has become the great package exchange.

Lord, Jesus’ birth is often lost or at best minimized in our celebrations and traditions around Christmas. And surely the concept of sacrifice and giving all to gain the kingdom is no where to be seen in present day Christmas celebrating in my world…

O, God, I am so inculturated I don’t know what to do… (I feel small admitting this).

Lord, what can/should I do???

Help me, Lord, please lead me. In Jesus’ name and for Your kingdom’s sake… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment