Tuesday, December 13: Matthew 16- The first steps of a marathon are not the whole race.

So many lessons…

My thoughts sparked on the last few vignettes. Peter makes the amazing confession that Jesus is the Christ. He gets it… he makes his profession of faith. This could possibly be Peter’s ‘cross-the-line-of-faith’ moment.

Then in the next moment he rebukes Jesus, as Jesus begins to explain the cross. Jesus harshly corrects him.…

One moment Peter is a paragon of faith and godly insight, and literally the next he is rebuked by the Lord for being a “stumbling block” who doesn’t have the mind of God. Up one moment, down in the pits the next…

What really prodded my devotions was Jesus’ next statement, If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me (24).

Following Jesus is a life of self denial, accepting the cross and continually following.  This is a life long journey that will be filled with challenges and growth and getting things wrong and getting things right.

I saw in these few sentences, a picture of life with Jesus.  First,  a moment of insight and the thrill of getting it right and then moments when we will miss the mark. It requires self-denial and sacrifice…

Following Jesus is like running a marathon. All runners start with energy and excitement but to complete the race, runners must settle in for the long haul, push through times of pain.  Sometimes they even stumble and fall, but to finish they get back up and push on until they cross the finish line…

Jesus, I pray for strength to keep on following You. Forgive me for my sin-stumbles. Holy Spirit, please send grace so that I can get up and keep on going, keep on running for and with Jesus until You call me home or You return. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment