Friday, February 24: Jeremiah 51- God cares.

How do you encourage a broken people? What lifts the spirits of the defeated?

Yesterday the Lord reminded Israel (and us) her sins will be forgiven… a search will be made for Israel's guilt … and for the sins of Judah, but none will be found, for I will forgive the remnant I spare (50:20). The guilt they now feel will be lifted off and taken away. That word lifts spirits!

Today God confirms that judgment will come upon the enemy (Babylon) who inflicted pain upon them. And so through out today’s chapter, God declares His Word against Babylon

Babylon will suddenly fall and be broken. Wail over her! … 'The LORD has vindicated us; come, let us tell in Zion what the LORD our God has done.' … For the time will surely come when I will punish the idols of Babylon; her whole land will be disgraced and her slain will all lie fallen within her (8, 10, 47). Knowing your enemy gets their just desserts can encourage.

And so God speaks. He speaks peace to the guilt wracked psyche of Israel & Judah. He confirms that Babylon, their great enemy, will fall and pay for the pain they inflicted.

Twenty-five centuries later, these can be difficult words to read and ponder but to people in the day, they brought great hope and encouragement.

I thought about what I just typed… that’s it. God cares. God enters our world and offers us what we need.

In the fullness of time God literally entered our world in Jesus and offered broken and defeated humanity what it sorely needed… a Savior. Jesus lifts the sin of all who believe in Him and He will judge God’s enemies and the enemy of His church.

God wins and His people win with Him.

Lord, thank You for the ways You enter my life and speak words of encouragement and hope and peace and forgiveness. Thank You for always being there; for inviting me to rely on You.

Praise be to Your name Lord God.

To You I pledge my life and my all… to share Your name and tell Your story… to be an ambassador for You, wherever I am.

Praise You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment