Tuesday, February 14: Jeremiah 42- Words can be cheap.

The chapter opens with a most wonderful account of humility and faithfulness. The small band of Israelites, remaining in Jerusalem, seek a word from the Lord through Jeremiah, the prophet. The manner with which they come to Jeremiah and what they ask of him display humility and faithfulness. Listen again to what they say...

Then all the army officers … and all the people from the least to the greatest approached Jeremiah the prophet and said to him, "Please hear our petition and pray to the LORD your God for this entire remnant. For as you now see, though we were once many, now only a few are left. Pray that the LORD your God will tell us where we should go and what we should do."

"I have heard you," replied Jeremiah the prophet. "I will certainly pray to the LORD your God as you have requested; I will tell you everything the LORD says and will keep nothing back from you."

Then they said to Jeremiah, "May the LORD be a true and faithful witness against us if we do not act in accordance with everything the LORD your God sends you to tell us. Whether it is favorable or unfavorable, we will obey the LORD our God, to whom we are sending you, so that it will go well with us, for we will obey the LORD our God" (1-6).

As I read this account I thought, “What amazing faith." Their final words declaring that they will obey whether the word is favorable or unfavorable is powerful. I thought, “This is the kind of faith I should display in my prayers.”

And then the word comes… very clear and direct. No interpretation is necessary.

The last couple of verses confused me initially, until I peeked at tomorrow’s reading. "O remnant of Judah, the LORD has told you, 'Do not go to Egypt.' Be sure of this: I warn you today that you made a fatal mistake when you sent me to the LORD your God and said, 'Pray to the LORD our God for us; tell us everything he says and we will do it.' I have told you today, but you still have not obeyed the LORD your God in all he sent me to tell you. So now, be sure of this: You will die by the sword, famine and plague in the place where you want to go to settle" (19-22).

It sounded like Judah’s response was to disobey. How could this be after the apparent sincerity of the opening conversation with Jeremiah, I wondered. (This is when I peeked)…

God’s Spirit spoke, “Words can be cheap, Bill. It can be relatively easy to profess your love to Me and your willingness to do and follow everything I tell you. However, if you don’t follow through and obey what I tell you, then your words are cheap. They have no value. Faithfulness is showcased in actions not words.”

I was pressed to prayer…

Oh Lord, I, too, speak more faithfully than I live. FORGIVE me. I fall upon Your grace. There is no good thing within me. I live only by Your grace.

Please, Oh Lord, grace me with strength to obey You… so that I can be a Jeremiah rather than like this remnant who would not obey You.

In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment