Thursday, February 9: Jeremiah 38- Being true to God and self.

For years now Jeremiah has been speaking words from the Lord that were unpopular with the leaders and officials of Judah. By some calculations Jeremiah’s words could be considered treasonous. Jeremiah was advocating surrender to the Babylonians, corporately and individually. This is the report of Jeremiah’s prophetic words: "This is what the LORD says: 'Whoever stays in this city will die by the sword, famine or plague, but whoever goes over to the Babylonians will live. He will escape with his life; he will live.' And this is what the LORD says: 'This city will certainly be handed over to the army of the king of Babylon, who will capture it'" (2-3).

Picture the situation, Jeremiah is telling soldiers and citizens they will live only if they surrender or defect… your choice of description.

For this leading, court officials throw Jeremiah into a cistern with the full knowledge and blessing of the king. Can we really blame the officials who did this?

Sometime later, the king comes to Jeremiah to ask him personally what God says.

Consider Jeremiah’s situation.  The king who controls his fate is asking him about what he should do. The man, ultimately if not personally responsible for his imprisonment, is seeking Jeremiah’s advice. The internal temptations to tell the king what he wants to hear must have been enormous yet Jeremiah will not cave. He remains true to himself and the Word the Lord gave him to speak.

I admire this quality of Jeremiah. His faithfulness to the Lord, irrespective of personal cost, is tremendous!

The Spirit whispers, “Bill, the same should be true of you…”

Pow! God’s Word this morning drives me to introspection. Am I a man of integrity? Do I sing different songs depending upon who my audience is? Am I true to God’s Word and God’s leading irrespective of personal cost?

How about you?...

Lord, to be a Jeremiah; this is my heart’s desire. But the human heart, my heart, is easily deceived and corrupted by original and personal sin. Cleanse my heart and fill me with Your Holy Spirit, so that I may be a man of faith, man of integrity and man of strength in times of plenty and want, smooth sailing and adversity.

O, God, I pray this with all the strength I have and I pray this in the name of Jesus, my Savior, Lord and God. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment