Thursday, February 2: Jeremiah 32- In God's hands.

As I began to meditate on this chapter, a 60’s song popped into my mind and I began humming it. Then singing it as I typed in the lyrics…

He’s got the whole world in His hands,

He’s got the whole world in His hands,

He’s got the whole world in His hands,

He’s got the whole world in His hands.

He’s got you and me sister in His hands,

He’s got you and me sister in His hands…

This chapter reminded me that God does have my life (your life) in His hands. God is telling Jeremiah and Israel through Him that He has them in His hands. Also, that God will restore them to life in the land after their time of punishment in captivity in Babylon.

I mused on God having my life in His hands.

Clearly I have responsibility for my actions. Jeremiah was told to buy the piece of property from his cousin, and God expected him to do it. God was punishing Israel for faithless living. Yes, we are responsible for our actions.

But God also has a plan and a purpose. And in Israel’s case, God will restore them to the land.

I can’t say that I fully understand how both of these rest together. Yet I trust and believe both. This is what I refer to as my guitar string theology. Guitar strings are pegged at two points and it is the right tension between both pegs that allows the string to make the right note. Scripture often teaches what seems to be two points on an issue and it is keeping the right tension between the two that allows me (us) to sing the beautiful message of God.

And so I live with personal responsibility on the one hand and God has a plan and purpose on the other…

Lord Jesus, Father, and Holy Spirit… I trust my life to Your hands… I trust and will follow to the best of my ability Your plan and purpose.

Thank You for saving me, for showing Yourself to me, for opening my eyes to Your Word and for planting a love for You in my heart and soul. I bless You and thank You and I will follow and be obedient to You all the days of my life. And Lord, when I fail at this, I beg Your forgiveness. In and through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment