Thursday, February 16: Jeremiah 44- Learn from the past.

This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: You saw the great disaster I brought on Jerusalem and on all the towns of Judah. Today they lie deserted and in ruins because of the evil they have done. They provoked me to anger by burning incense and by worshiping other gods that neither they nor you nor your fathers ever knew. Again and again I sent my servants the prophets, who said, 'Do not do this detestable thing that I hate!' But they did not listen or pay attention; they did not turn from their wickedness or stop burning incense to other gods. Therefore, my fierce anger was poured out; it raged against the towns of Judah and the streets of Jerusalem and made them the desolate ruins they are today.

Now this is what the LORD God Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Why bring such great disaster on yourselves by cutting off from Judah the men and women, the children and infants, and so leave yourselves without a remnant? Why provoke me to anger with what your hands have made, burning incense to other gods in Egypt, where you have come to live?... (2-8).

God appeals to the Hebrews who fled to Egypt to learn from the past. Sadly, as the chapter chronicles, they did not.

Almost immediately the Holy Spirit began whispering to me, “Bill, make sure you learn from the past. I gave you the Scriptures so you can learn from how I have dealt with my people over the centuries. Learn from the past. Do not make the mistakes that these Jews made.”

I began to think through the lessons of Scripture and the lessons from church history.  The more I pay attention to these, the wiser I can live.

Learn from the past… God’s good Word for today.

Lord, make me wise unto salvation… steep me in Your Word that I might not sin against You. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment