Monday, February 6: Jeremiah 35- Community.

An incredible story of obedience, the entire Recabite family followed their father’s command to the letter. I noticed something interesting in verse 6. But they replied, "We do not drink wine, because our forefather Jonadab son of Recab gave us this command: 'Neither you nor your descendants must ever drink wine. The entire clan determined not to drink wine.

There is strength in numbers. This was not one lone man or woman bucking the trend of society. It was a group, a clan, a family!

When Daniel resolved not to eat the king’s food, he did so with three other Hebrew friends.

There is a power, a strength, with community that is far greater than the strength of an individual or even an equal number of separate individuals. For millennia monks and sisters have lived in convents and monasteries, keeping vows of chastity, simplicity and poverty. The brotherhood and sisterhood gives individuals strength.

My musing today is more a wondering, wondering why the church isn’t such a community, helping one another live up to the call of the Lord? I think it is supposed to be. We are supposed to encourage one another, love one another, and bear with one another. The church, the faith community, is God’s gift to help one another live faithfully with the Lord.

Why then, is there so little difference between the people of the church and people of society when it comes to following and obeying the Lord?

I wonder…

Maybe we cannot leave our support to a generic group, i.e. the church? Maybe we need a group with in the larger group, i.e. a small group of friends and companions with whom we agree to be there for one another like the Recabites were for one another- one family within the family of the Hebrews.

I am not sure… I am still musing. But it makes me appreciate my small group of guys who meet regularly and encourage one another.

Lord, thank You for guys who will come along side of me and stand with me as I work to stand with You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment