Wednesday, February 29: Lamentations 3- Great is Thy Faithfulness.

What a powerful chapter! This chapter had so much for me. I had forgotten what amazing truths lie in this one chapter.

The chapter opens with Jeremiah’s continuing lament.  His heart screams out in pain. I am the man who has seen affliction by the rod of his wrath (1). It seems like this chapter will continue as the two before, weeping at the destruction of Jerusalem.

But an unexpected curve in the road happens around verse 22. Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD (22-26).

I had to soak in the luxury of these verses for awhile. Rather than me re-writing them, go back and re-read them… once, even multiple times. The hymn Great is thy Faithfulness finds its inspiration from these verses. Dare to read them once more…

God is faithful. His mercies are new each day. I testify to this. Even during the days of greatest pain and testing God’s mercies were evident in abundance. “Oh, Bill, put your hope in the Lord,” became my person admonishment to myself as I read and re-read on these verses this morning…

Then came more from the Lord. In verses 3:36, 38-39 Jeremiah makes sense of the destruction of Jerusalem and the justice of God. [T]o deprive a man of justice-- would not the Lord see such things? …Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come? Why should any living man complain when punished for his sins? The destruction, the death, the horror of what he had witnessed,is not some God run a muck, a rampage of violence like a mob destroying a city. No, it is punishment for sin.

These actions were just –as painful as they appear and feel.  God’s judgments are just. The people are receiving due justice for their sins.

The next thing I knew, Jeremiah was leading me to a time of personal introspection. Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the LORD. Let us lift up our hearts and our hands to God in heaven, and say: "We have sinned and rebelled … (40-42).

Oh Lord, as I examine my ways, I, too, have sinned. I confess that I have not lived as You would have me live. I have not loved neighbor as I love myself and I have not loved You as You deserve. Forgive me for my general sin-filled ways and for the specific sins I have committed…

I cannot stand in persona righteousness. I come to You only through the name of Jesus, my Savior and Lord, in whose name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment