Thursday, March 29: Hebrews 2- One-liners of substance.

Verse 1: We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.

Verse 8: … In putting everything under him [Jesus], God left nothing that is not subject to him. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to him.

Verse 17: For this reason he [Jesus] had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.

Verse18: Because he [Jesus] himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Even with all the teaching about Jesus, I found my spirit drawn to verse 1 and the commendation to pay careful attention lest we drift away. One of the important themes of Hebrews is constantly calling believers to persevere, to pay attention to their faith, and the trajectory of their faith.

Am I growing closer to Jesus, the Father and the Sprit, or am I drifting away? This question leads to self-examination. I confess that I am a mixed bag, with some areas of growth and some of stagnation.

How about you? Are you sailing toward God or drifting away? This is serious business…

Lord God, I pray with the Father in the Gospel.   I believe, help my unbelief. Oh Lord, I seek to grow to be more like Jesus, to manifest the Fruit of the Spirit, to exude faith in Jesus.  Help me in my areas of weakness and sloth. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment