Wednesday, February 8: Jeremiah 37- Our often limited view.

Jeremiah’s imprisonment really stinks. I mean, come on, he spoke faithfully what God had given him and this is the thanks he gets, imprisoned in an underground dungeon. Coyly, the text simply says he was imprisoned there a long time (16). It must have been horrible because Jeremiah eventually petitions the king, “But now, my lord the king, please listen. Let me bring my petition before you: Do not send me back to the house of Jonathan the secretary, or I will die there” (20). Jeremiah feared for his life… conditions were so horrible, he feared for his life.

His ensuing imprisonment was no picnic but at least he lived.

As I was envisioning the desperate nature of Jeremiah’s plight and realizing how woeful his life was, the understanding hit me that we have such a very limited view of life. We see and measure everything from an earthly perspective. Hardship, pain, imprisonment, etc., is something to be avoided and “Surely God wouldn’t want us to experience these things. After all, God only wants the best for us. Right?”

I am not so sure.

So many of the OT and NT saints showed their metal and faithfulness by enduring such things for God. The litany of faith-heroes whose lives were anything but cushy is long. More Bible heroes are on the list of ‘suffering for God’ than on the ‘it’s a wonderful earthly life serving God.’

I am wondering how we have missed this in the church today. Why don’t we talk about this? I am wondering why sacrifice for God’s sake isn’t in our (my) vocabulary.  It is not in our Sunday School curricula and small group studies…

Lord, these thoughts frighten me. Are You preparing me for something? Often Your lessons are not merely mental exercises but preparations for action. Lord, I pray that no matter what You ask or require of me, I am up to Your task. Please endow me with Your Holy Spirit that I may hear Your voice and have Your power both to listen and execute all You ask of me. This I pray in the name of and for the sake of Jesus, my Savior and Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment