Monday, August 13: Joel 1 - Getting our attention.

God specifically promised to take care of Israel and care for the land. God would provide rain. God would oversee the crops.  The land would produce because God was watching out for them. Now when problems occur with the land, it was a sign that there was a problem between Israel and God.

Joel understands this. So when an unusual confluence of locus destroy crop after crop, Joel realizes that God is calling to them. And Joel understands that the call is to repentance. Put on sackcloth, O priests, and mourn; wail, you who minister before the altar. Come, spend the night in sackcloth, you who minister before my God; for the grain offerings and drink offerings are withheld from the house of your God. Declare a holy fast; call a sacred assembly. Summon the elders and all who live in the land to the house of the LORD your God, and cry out to the LORD (13-14).

The incident of the locus, being a call from God to Israel, got me thinking about God trying to get my attention. I know there are times when stuff in my life does seem to be God trying to get my attention. I cannot and will not say that everything that happens to me is a sign from God. But there are definitely times when God wants my attention.

Am I listening? That is the question that the Spirit poses to me today. Am I listening for the voice of God in my life? I know God speaks through His Word, but along the day there are times I sense a nudge from God inviting me to do something.

This is the joy of following the living and true God. He speaks with us! Sometimes He calls me to repentance, sometimes He corrects a behavior, and sometimes God gives me an assignment. The wonder and delight is that God speaks with me.

I hope and pray you experience God communicating with you as well… that’s one of the gifts I have found in following Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

Oh, Lord, thank You for caring enough to communicate with me, to confront me, to direct me, and to lead me. I love You and I thank You. Through Jesus,  my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment