Wednesday, August 15: Joel 3 - God is our refuge.

The psalmist wrote, God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble… (Ps 46:1). This verse flooded my mind as I set to put my devotions into words. God was there for us, God is there for us and God will be there for us.

Joel looks toward the day of God’s judgment, the day of the Lord. It is a terrible day and a wonderful day, terrible because judgment is terrible. Being called to account is uncomfortable in the human arena. I think of the courtroom and classroom as examples. Judgment reveals our failings and brings to bear upon us what our failings deserve.

Standing before Almighty God on God’s Day of Judgment will be terrible for everyone who has fallen short. Joel speaks of it with these words: Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision. The sun and moon will be darkened, and the stars no longer shine. The LORD will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem; the earth and the sky will tremble. But the LORD will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel (14-16). It will be a terrible day for all… all but the Lord’s people.   

On the day of God’s judgment, God Himself will be the refuge for His people. For God’s people, judgment day will be wonderful because we will see the wonder of God’s Salvation. God will be a stronghold. God will be our Fortress. God will be our Redeemer and Savior. God will be everything we need to stand and flourish in the Day of Judgment and we will see this, understand this, like never before, and experience God’s Love in ways unlike we have experienced it before!

As I said, the Day of Judgment will be terrible and wonderful, depending upon your relationship with God.

Are you living in relationship with God Almighty through faith in Jesus Christ? Connection to Jesus will make all the difference… think about it.

Oh, Lord, I cling to You. You are my only hope on the Day of Judgment… You are my only hope. So I cling to You, Who loves me, Who died for me, Who redeemed me and Who calls me His own. Praise be to You, Lord God Almighty –Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment