Tuesday, August 14: Joel 2 - One of the great OT promises.

Joel continues God’s call to the people to repent. Verse 12-13: ‘Even now,’ declares the LORD, 'return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning. Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity.

Everywhere I turn in the Old Testament this year I am seeing how much God longs for His people to come home to Him. There is this notion that the God of the OT is a mean God, simply waiting for us to step out of line and wham He will smite us. But this year, as I read through the OT, I see more and more how patient God was, how longingly God calls and how many, many chances God gave His people to return when they strayed.

God’s heart is for His people, desiring them (us) to walk closely with Him and welcoming us back home after we sin and stray.

I spent some time reviewing my ways and confessing/returning as appropriate…

Today’s reading was much bigger than simply a call home. The chapter concludes with one of the great promises given in the OT that is fulfilled in the NT. Peter takes this OT promise of the Spirit for all people and applies it on Pentecost to the Church (see Acts 2)! God’s Spirit poured out on all people… men/women, young/old. What a gift, what a wonder. No longer will only a select few be filled with the Spirit; all God’s people will be filled!!!

I am awed by this and humbled that God would fill me to be a difference maker and kingdom builder for Him! And this goes for you, too, if you are a Christ-follower.

Ever so subtly God’s voice posed this question, “Bill, how are you making use of My Spirit within you to build My kingdom?” In the quietness of the morning I contemplated life… am I giving my best to the advancing of God’s glory and reign? Am I?

These contemplations made me wonder what would I put on my CV if I was called by God to list what I had done for His Kingdom to this point in my life…

Lord, I could be doing more for You with my life. Forgive me and lead me to give my life for Your glory, will and reign. Through Jesus, my Lord, and by the power only Your Holy Spirit can give, I pray and live. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment