Thursday, August 30: Jonah 3 - God of second chances.

The chapter begins with a clear reference to Jonah’s second chance to obey the Lord. He does. He preaches to Nineveh that God’s wrath will come in 40 days and the city overturned. The Ninevites do what Jonah did not do; they immediately listen to the Lord and repent in sackcloth and ashes with fasting. And God, true to His character, gives Nineveh a second chance. When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened (10).

Second chances… how often God has given me second (third, even fourth) chances. The psalmist says many times, ‘God is slow to anger and abounding in love.’

Second chances… my heart sits thankfully blessing the Lord for His second chances in my life.

Second chances… a still small voice queries me, “Bill, do you offer others second chances?” Ah, the wonder of being a follower, a disciple of Jesus… learning to live like Jesus modeled!

Lord God Almighty, I am eternally and temporally grateful for all the second chances You have extended to me. Thank You, Lord!

A growth point I am sensing in my life is to become more of a man who extends second chances to others.  Help me, Lord, to grow in the compassion and wisdom of extending second chances to others. I pray through Jesus, my Lord. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment