Saturday, August 18: Amos 3 - And I mean it.

Years before we had children of our own I sat in the living room full of young couples. Most were seriously dating or were young marrieds. Scattered in the crowd were a few young children, the oldest maybe three or four. This ‘oldest’ child was a precocious girl and stairs leading to the second floor had her attention. “Don’t go up the stairs,” mom spoke. The girl moved closer.

“Don’t go on the stairs,” came a second command. Undaunted she reached the first step.

Don’t (!) go up the stairs,” came mom’s directives a bit louder. The girl glanced and made it to the first step. At step two there was a landing and the stairs turned direction and a wall hid the child from the mother’s view.

As the toddler reached the landing, mom shouting louder said, “Don’t go UP the stairs.” The toddler went another step or two –now out of sight of the mom but still in my view, she sat on the step moderately self-satisfied.

Mom now at her boiling point shouted while wagging her finger, “Missy, don’t go up the stairs, (breath) and I mean it!” The girl sat there out of sight of mom, wagging her finger (just like her mom, who she couldn’t see). As she wagged her little finger, she mouthed her mom’s addition –and I mean it. After that her expression changed. Mom exasperated, marched across the room and removed the young girl from the stairs. What ensued was not a particularly fun party moment.

What I found fascinating was that the girl clearly understood that when the “I mean it” was added, mom meant business. 

This chapter was God’s “I mean it” to Israel. God paints with vivid color ‘word-pictures’, letting Israel know judgment is coming.

It is a sad day when judgment comes… so many chances to correct the course before this moment… unheeded.

I find myself pausing to listen for the Lord to speak. Are there course corrections I need to take? I don’t want to be Israel or that little girl…

 Lord, show me the errors of my living that I may repent… to Your honor and glory, I pray. Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment