Tuesday, August 28: Jonah 1 - God's passion for people.

Jonah’s story is a classic from the Bible. Sunday school children and even people outside the faith know the story of Jonah. As I sit with this classic, my silent prayer is that God will speak, revealing Himself and His ways to me…

Most times when I read this account, I focus on Jonah, the primary figure of the story. This morning I was fascinated by the other sailors. One aspect of this chapter is their coming to faith in the Lord.

As the ship sets sail, the sailors are all worshippers of other unnamed gods. The storm throws everyone at the mercy of their god. Each prays, begging their god to calm the storm. Nothing happens.

Eventually the lot falls to Jonah.  He is the culprit. And his solution… be tossed into the sea and God will calm the storm. After doing everything possible, short of throwing Jonah overboard, the men acquiesce in the hopes that Jonah is right and their lives will be spared.

The text explains that when Jonah is thrown overboard, the storm stops… clearly a cause and effect. There is no doubt that the two events are connected. At this, the men see the Lord for who He is and worship Him. Verses 15-16 record all this ever so succinctly. Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm. At this the men greatly feared the LORD, and they offered a sacrifice to the LORD and made vows to him. 

God’s passion for people… that’s one of the first things I see. God even uses the disobedience of Jonah to bring people to a deeper understanding of who He is!

Lord, would that I have the same level of passion for others that You have… that in the good and the bad of life, I would see opportunities to point others to You. Lord, would, too, that I had the faith of Jonah to believe your miraculous ways… ways that ultimately allow You to be made known to people outside the family of faith.

Use my life, Lord God, to serve You, Your honor and glory, even should it cost me my earthly life.  Use me for Your glory. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment