Monday, August 27: Obadiah - What should I do?.

You see someone in trouble, what should you do? I know the question is general, but ponder it a bit before you read on.

Obadiah’s message is for Edom, descendants of Esau, brother to Jacob. Edom stood by as Israel was attacked and did nothing. Now the Lord is about to punish Edom because they did nothing. Verse 10-11 make this plain: Because of the violence against your brother Jacob, you will be covered with shame; you will be destroyed forever. On the day you stood aloof while strangers carried off his wealth and foreigners entered his gates and cast lots for Jerusalem, you were like one of them.

God judges Edom, who stood by and watched, as if she were one of the pillagers!

That is a frightening message.  How often to I sit idly by when stuff happens? Why should I get involved? Why should I risk my neck? Why? Because I am a brother… I am supposed to care.

I remember that Cain, who kills his brother Abel, lies to God that he doesn’t know where his brother is. “Am I my brother’s keeper,” Cain rejoins God (Genesis 4:9).

Obadiah answers that question. “Yes, we are our brothers keeper!”

God leads me on a journey of introspection… “Am I a good brother’s-keeper, God asks me!”

Are you? Think about it.

Lord, ‘sometimes’ is the best reply I can make. Sometimes I seek to help, other times I look the other way pretending I don’t know… Oh, God, forgive me… forgive me. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment