Monday, August 6: 2Timothy 2 - Stay connected to Jesus.

Another trustworthy saying appears in this chapter. Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself (11-13).

I love three of the four pairs… God is with us, and even when we are weak and struggle with faithfulness, He will not give up on us…. if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.

It is the third pair that troubles me, If we disown him, he will also disown us. What makes disown so different from unfaithful? Then again, this pair does reflect Jesus, Himself, who said, But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven (Matthew 10:33).

So I thought some more about disowning. Disowning has permanence to it. When a parent disowns a child, they sever the family and inheritance tie. Disown is a rejection. And people who reject Jesus will be met with rejection when they stand at their final hearing before God.

This statement sends chills down my spine.  Stay connected to Jesus! Hold fast to Jesus! Imperfect in my faithfulness as I may be, I still confess Jesus as my Lord!

Lord, I know I am far from perfectly faithful. I fail and fall repeatedly. Please forgive me. But even in my failings and fallings, Lord, I still commit myself to following You. And I trust that You will keep me. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment