Thursday, August 23: Amos 7 - Standing in the gap.

There were a number of stopping points on my reading journey through chapter 7 this morning. After finishing the chapter, it was Amos’ conversation with the Lord that drew me into meditation.

God reveals His plans against Israel and Amos pleads for Israel. Even though the conversation is brief, Amos’ pleas impacted the outcome. This is what the Sovereign LORD showed me: He was preparing swarms of locusts… When they had stripped the land clean, I cried out, "Sovereign LORD, forgive! How can Jacob survive? He is so small!" So the LORD relented. "This will not happen," the LORD said. …

The Sovereign LORD was calling for judgment by fire… Then I cried out, "Sovereign LORD, I beg you, stop! How can Jacob survive? He is so small!" So the LORD relented. "This will not happen either," the Sovereign LORD said (1-6).

Twice Amos pleaded for God to stop and twice God relented…

It hit me, intercession is powerful! Standing in the gap and praying for people or nations can impact the outcome. No wonder Paul commends us to pray for others, for rulers and for those in authority.

Lord, as I continued to ponder what I am seeing and hearing in the text, I realized how poor I am at intercession. Oh, God, help me grow here. Help me grow… Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment