Saturday, August 11: Titus 3 - The final trustworthy saying.

I have copied the entirety of the first eight verses of this chapter into this blog, which made it easier for me to record my meditations…

The first thing I noticed is that doing what is good brackets this section. How often has our behavior and living come up in these pastoral letters? So many times. Clearly God’s desire is for us to live in a manner that resonates with His love and goodness. It hit me as I had this thought, how many “rough edges” still need to be filed off in my life?!!

Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.

At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

As I read into the second paragraph, the thought struck me… how is it that we can show patience and humility toward all other people? By remembering where we came from! We too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We are the same as everyone else, except (in the text ‘but’) God lavished His kindness and love upon us.

I am considerate and show humility because I can (thanks to God redeeming me) and because that is the best way to light a path for others to God!

What a wonderful description of purpose in the Christ-following life.

I hope you enjoy chewing on this during the day. I will…

Oh, God -Father, Son and Holy Spirit- marinate me in Your goodness and love so that I can reflect the same to others. Really, Lord, help me become a new person and more Jesus-like person. I love You and I want those in my circle of life to know the delight and peace and love I have found in loving You, in being redeemed by You. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment