Tuesday, August 21: Amos 5 - Seek. but what? .

The word ‘seek’ attached to my heart and thoughts as I read. ‘Seek’. I pondered those things the prophet bade us to seek.

Verse 4: This is what the LORD says to the house of Israel: "Seek me and live;

Verse 6: Seek the LORD and live ….

That seems pretty straight forward,  We are to seek the Lord; the God of the Bible, the One who makes Himself known in the Bible. Seek Him. Okay, I pondered, how do I do this? The most obvious answer is to get to know Him through what He has said, in this case through what He has written… what He says about Himself.

Today as I write, is actually a Saturday and there is nothing I have to do; a rarity. With the house to myself I scanned Facebook while I enjoyed a cup of tea. A college friend is celebrating an anniversary, another friend posted pictures of picnic in a park with friends and lots of young kids. Some post political commentary, another posted her graduate school acceptance… it was a 30 minute walk with old and new friends. Life is so rich. But I have to admit there are always some posts that are head-scratchers. Why would anyone post that I wonder??? Vulgarities, suggestive photos or comments. Like ‘people watching’ at a mall, you learn a great deal about a person by what they say about themselves in their social media, blogs, artwork, links, etc. (No surprise that companies now check out a person’s social media as part of the interview process.)

The Bible is a gigantic post by God. Want to know Him?  Want to seek Him?  Read, think about, ponder God’s post –the Bible.

Amos also says, Seek good, not evil, that you may live. Then the LORD God Almighty will be with you... (14). Seek good, not evil… interesting. It feels like Amos is saying seek doing good, not evil. Okay, so what is that, I thought.

I will not give you the various answers I came up with but my answers impact how I live towards other people, the manner in which I speak with other, the kinds of activities I spend my life doing…

If you are still reading along, I encourage you to spend a few moments thinking about what seeking good would look like in your life. Blessings.

Lord, seeking You in Your Word is part of the fabric of my life.  Seeking good is less so in my life. Help me, Jesus, to make ‘seeking good’ a conscious part of my life. I consciously choose to sit with Your Word most days. Help me to be equally diligent to ‘seek good’ with my energy. What a blessing!  When I seek good, I will experience You with me. Oh, the joy of You being with me!

In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment