Tuesday, August 7: 2Timothy 3 -. Thoroughly equipped

If ever there was a theme sentence for my daily devotionals it would be verses 16-17. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

All Scripture: Old and New Testaments, historical books, poetry, prophetic writings, letters, gospels, all Scripture, every sentence and word is from God and is useful to help me know and follow God.

Every bit of God’s Word is, well, God’s Word, which by definition is useful. By reading the whole of Scripture, I hear everything God says, even the harder teachings, which left to myself I might avoid.

Another key thought, the sentence reads ‘thoroughly equipped.’ By attending to the whole of the Bible we are thoroughly equipped. I have an acquaintance who is a Navy Seal. He explained once that their training, in general and training for a particular mission, is much more difficult than the actual mission itself. They rehearse and train for the worst of conditions and events so that they can handle anything that happens in the field. No surprise they are arguably the best soldiers in the world. Navy Seals are thoroughly equipped for every mission.

By attending to God’s Word with diligence we, too, will be thoroughly equipped for every good work that God has prepared for us to do (see Ephesians 2:10).

Lord, as I spend time with You in Your Word, equip me for life and service. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment