Friday, September 21: Luke 18- What is your stumbling block?.

Cut to the heart… that is my first thought as I read Jesus’ exchange with the certain ruler who was wealthy, verse 18-29. Specifically it was verse 22, which got to me: When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.

Jesus could see this man’s stumbling block. For him it was money. And Jesus asked him to move the stumbling block out of the way and then to follow Him.  Jesus knew the man maybe better than the man knew himself. Money, riches and perks that come with them were his stumbling block. They were the prime roadblock between this man and deep abiding faith in God. They were the one thing this man could not easily or immediately surrender.  The story suggests he might never be willing to surrender these. How sad.

Almost immediately I turned the story into a mirror.  What is it for me that I struggle to surrender to Jesus? Is it my money? My family? My health? My…???

Thankfully God’s grace has allowed me to enter God’s kingdom.  However, where/what am I holding back??? Is there any aspect of my life in which I am acting like this ‘certain ruler?’

Search me and know me, Lord. Check every corner of my life. Turn on your search light and probe me, Oh Holy Spirit, that I might be Yours lock, stock and barrel. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment