Saturday, September 22: Luke 19 -If the end is near.

The lead in for the parable about the servant with the 10 minas goes like this, While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once (11).

Many people it seems concentrate on knowing when Jesus will return. Is this the last days? Is the end near? About a year ago, one man had a huge media campaign because he was announcing the actual date of Jesus’ return. Admittedly, I am not moved by most of this speculation. Verse 11 reinforced my gut reaction…

When faced with people who thought the kingdom was near, Jesus told a parable, not about analyzing the signs of the times, instead, He told a parable about diligently working for kingdom growth and kingdom advance…

If I am hearing Jesus correctly, His emphasis teaches me that God wants to find us laboring for the Kingdom.  So if you think God is returning soon, all the more reason to be working for Kingdom advance! You don’t want to be found squandering what God has given.   You want to be faithfully employing and multiplying the gifts God has given.

After having this inspiration, my natural reaction was to ponder.  Am I more like the men with 10 or 5 minas or the person with 1 mina? How am I living my life in light of Jesus’ return? And you…?

Lord, may my efforts be effective in advancing Your Kingdom. Through Jesus my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment