Saturday, September 8: Luke 7 - Seizing a teachable moment.

Oh, there were so many stopping points for me in this chapter. This morning was one of those days in the Word where every paragraph or story spoke to me in some way or another. I love days like this…

The one I chose to linger with was early in the chapter. After healing the centurion’s servant Luke notes, When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, "I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel (9). It was Jesus’ action to turn and face the crowd and speak that caught my attention.

How often do I come across teachable moments and miss the opportunity to teach? I briefly scanned my life as a dad, a boss, a pastor and a person.

Do I seize teachable moments as they happen and share a pearl of wisdom in the moment? Jesus did.

He took a few seconds, no more than a minute, and gave the crowd, who has witnessed the entire exchange, a one-sentence teaching. This moment impacted someone so greatly that when Luke was researching his ‘life of Jesus’, the story was remembered some thirty years later and told to him.

That’s the power of a teachable moment.

Lord God, help me take advantage of any and all teachable moments that You bring my way today. In and for Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment