Saturday, September 15: Luke 13 - Two opposite thoughts.

As I began reading, I was immediately drawn into the first account. After reading the punch line, 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down' (8-9), I thought ‘ah-ha’, the Lord is a God of second chances. And my heart began to bless and thank the Lord for the many second chances He has given me.

I kept reading.  The scene and message shifted. "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.' "But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from' (24-25). Now Jesus’ message was,‘Make your choice’.There will be a day and time when it is too late. So, I thought…There will be a time after which there are no more second chances?

I sat for a while in the tension…

I cannot honestly say I have resolved the tension either.

I feel very comfortable knowing the time of the closed door has not yet come.  When it will come, I do not know. Therefore, right now the door is open and God invites us to make an effort to enter. Faith does require responsibility and effort! Not only, if/when I slip up, God is still offering second chance options. Thank You, Lord!

But in the back of my head I also heard the warning, “Don’t take these days for granted. Act now. Put your faith in Jesus while the door is open…”

Have you confessed Jesus to be your Savior and Lord? Are you making every effort to live a life that pleases Him?

Think about it, while you still have time…

Lord God, thank You for Jesus,  for His gift of forgiveness and redemption on the cross. Thank You, Jesus, for saving me…

Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment