Thursday, September 20: Luke 17 - .

These teaching chapters have so much, any of Luke’s sections are worthy of further meditation. Even within one section there are multiple consideration points.

Jesus’ opening message grabs, challenges and even frightens me. It seems harsh and graceless…

I enjoyed watching the Olympics; athletes putting everything they have into event after event. Coaches one moment pushing them for that extra ounce of effort, the next embracing them in a victory hug or a moment of consolation following defeat. Some coaches seem harsh and austere, others connected and encouraging. Both styles produce winners and losers. Every world class athlete… no every athlete… needs both the stern push to get better and the embrace of love following competition.

This is one of Jesus’ stern push moments. It isn’t Jesus’ only word, but it is an important word. This is a good time to re-read verse 1-10. I will just post the final 4 of those verses.

"Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty'" (7-10).

You can do more. You can work harder. SO far you have only done your duty.  Give it that 10% extra you have held in reserve…

Kingdom living is not ‘do the minimum and skate in.’ It is all or nothing. Love the Lord your God with ALL your heart, mind, soul, and strength… remember! This is one of Jesus’ ‘give it your all’ speeches.

It causes me to think… what is some of ‘the more’ I could be doing???

Oh, God, it is so easy for me to slide into a liaise faire living… I do a lot, I can take it easy…. Blah, blah, blah. Forgive me. It is part of my self-centeredness rearing its faithless head. Forgive me, Lord, and help me to hear and respond to Your message and to push myself for kingdom sake. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment