Saturday, September 29: Acts 1 - Faithfulness rather than applause.

I found myself thinking about ‘Team Jesus,’ particularly the many people who followed Jesus faithfully yet never have their names mentioned in the New Testament. The 12 get most of the press. Mary, Martha and Lazarus are given a few props. Nicodemus, Joseph of Arimethea and a couple of Marys are also mentioned by name. Often I am left with the impression that these named people are pretty much the total of Jesus’ entourage, but as I listen more closely there were many more.

The Seventy Two are sent out in (Luke 10), women and children are mentioned in a few places also. One hundred and twenty gather as disciples in the upper room (15). And when they choose Judas’ successor, they do so from a pool of men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from John's baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us (21-22).

I found myself wondering about all these unnamed disciples. Few disciples are named in the New Testament, most live faithfully under the radar of notoriety and recognition.

The same is true today and yet if I am correct about my understanding of 1Corinthians 12, each disciple, named or unnamed, is essential to the body, the church.

This in turn caused me to ponder my living as a disciple… faithfulness not applause or recognition should be my motivation. Following, laboring, loving, serving, because I have pledged myself to Jesus and are known to Him…

Jesus, it is an honor to follow, labor, love and serve You. Thank You for calling and inviting me to this journey of faith. … Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment