Thursday, September 13: Luke 11 - Boldness in prayer.

It is always a delight when I see something new in the Scriptures. It amazes me that after reading the Bible so many times God still has new and fresh things for me to see and learn in His Word.

This morning it was boldness in prayer.  After the giving of what we have come to call ‘The Lord’s Prayer’, Jesus continues to teach on prayer, saying, Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.' "Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs. "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened (5-10).

The word ‘boldness’ stopped me in my reading for a few moments. I know Jesus wants us to show persistence in prayer… but boldness adds another dimension to our prayers.

The setting is The Lord’s Prayer, where we are instructed to pray for God’s Kingdom to come & will be done, for daily needs (not wants mind you, but actual needs), for forgiveness of sins –even as we are to forgive others…

These are the prayers that should be bold! Pray boldly that God’s will is done and kingdom is advanced! Pray boldly when you when you have a basic need. Pray boldly, believing God will forgive you when you seek His forgiveness and boldly extend forgiveness to a brother or sister who has sinned against you.

These are prayers that we can and should pray with boldness, believing the Father in Heaven will provide!!!

Lord, I pray for Your kingdom to advance. Specifically Lord, I pray for Nigeria. Deepen the church there, give her a heart to change the world for Jesus. Send out missionaries from there, all across the continent, that Africa might be won for Jesus! Lord, hold back any forces of evil that would seek to derail from Your Kingdom advancement. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment