Saturday, September 1: Luke 1 - Righteous but not blessed.

Sometimes people in the church, myself included, can adopt the notion that if we are truly righteous (we live rightly before God), then we will be materially blessed. Things will go well with us… we will have that good job, nice things, etc… As I began today’s reading, verse 6-7 caught me by surprise. Both of them [Zechariah and Elizabeth] were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly. But they had no children, because Elizabeth was barren; and they were both well along in years.

This couple was blameless and upright… they were good people. In fact they were exemplary people and yet the one thing that showed a Jewish couple to be blessed of God, they didn’t have. They had no children.

I thought about that. Most of their earthly life was lived under the pawl ‘not blessed’ and yet they continued to live faithfully, uprightly, blamelessly.

The Spirit whispered a lesson to me. God deserves my best, my faithfulness, my devotion, my love and service, no matter what blessings He chooses or does not choose to send my way. Who knows what He is planning?

A second whisper came, Don’t judge someone’s apparent faithfulness by material blessings… spiritual character and manner of life are the truest indicator of spiritual maturity!

Lord God, help me to be a Zechariah… a man who lives faithfully before You no matter what! Yes, Lord, that is my prayer for today and by Your grace, every day. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment