Monday, February 4: Genesis 30- What a messed up family.

Wow God where are you in all this… sibling rivalry and wage deception? We humans are messed up. From the word go, we spiral into problems! The two sisters waged a pregnancy war vying for Jacob and honor. The battle over birthing baby boys is sad and yet almost comical at times. Buying nights in Jacob’s bed with aphrodisiacs (mandrakes). Giving servants in your place so your husband will sire children, hopefully sons, with them in your name. It is bizarre. This is the stuff of daytime soap operas, reality TV and Maury Povich! And all of this is happening in God’s chosen family.

And yet in the midst of all this drama, God is at work using all this human drama and sibling rivalry to build the family of the patriarch Jacob. 12 sons will come from all this and from them the 12 tribes of Israel.

Some thoughts cross my mind…

One, we humans are a mess… selfish and sin-filled. Our best isn’t all that good. We are a mix of intentions both honorable and not! We need a savior!!!

Two, God brings good things out of our messes. These rival sisters produced the 12 tribes that would characterize the people of God from then on. Romans 8:28 comes to mind.

Three, imperfect as I am, God will still use me. Even though I am not perfect I am still called to faithfulness! God will still use me. After all if he can use this set of characters he can use me too!

God, it seems we should do better, but none the less through us, selfish and sin-filled as I am (we humans are), You will reach the nations with Your name and glory. I am honored to be part of Your salvation plan! Fill me with Your Spirit that I may accomplish all you need for me to accomplish that Your plan will succeed. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment