Thursday, February 14: Genesis 39- Is it enough to live honorably or would the Lord have us do more?.

Just because you are honorable does not mean everything will go smoothly in your life. That at least is one of the lessons I hear in Joseph’s life. An honorable man, he is sold into slavery by his brothers. His Egyptian owner sees value in him and over time he rises to head slave but a lie fabricated about him lands him in prison. Life isn’t always fair! There is injustice in the world and sin and meanness and…

Joseph’s life reminds me that I (we) live honorably before God in order to please God. This may or may not result in earthly reward, but it certainly reaps a heavenly reward!

My thoughts pin-balled back to the thought about ‘injustice, sin and meanness’ in our world. Could it be that in addition to living honorably, God desires for us to get involved in righting the injustices we see in this world? Could it be that God would have us live in a manner that our lives lived honorably would help mediate the sin and meanness in our world?

The question that this chapter sparked in me goes like this, “Is it enough to live honorably or would the Lord have us do more? Would the Lord have us live radically, serving His causes of righteousness and salvation in this world?”

Now that is something to chew on…

Lord God, this is a big question, one that I dare not treat lightly.  Open my eyes to Your truth on this. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment