Tuesday, February 5: Genesis 31- God's hand of mercy.

Jacob had enough and with his family’s consent fled secretly from Laban and headed home. Driving herds and traveling with young children, three days head start didn’t provide much safety. In 7 days Laban and his men caught them. What will happen? Will Jacob be massacred? Taken back to Laban’s as captives, what?

Either of those were legitimate options except God stepped in. The night before their meeting God came to Laban the Aramean in a dream at night and said to him, "Be careful not to say anything to Jacob, either good or bad" (24).

From a human point of view Jacob did what he could to escape the clutches of Laban, but he was caught. We can only do so much to help and save ourselves. Truthfully it is rarely if ever enough.

God provides the escape. As with Noah who built an ark at God’s command, and Moses at the Red Sea God shows up just in time to save His people. Laban who does not worship the Lord has a dream and in it God says, “Watch it Laban. You are angry but do not do anything to Jacob!” So God saved Jacob from the wrath of Laban.  Jacob would not have even known about God’s saving act had Laban not mentioned it when they met (verse 29).

I began to wonder how many times God has saved my skin and I do not know it. God often does his work in the quiet.

I think about my life… meeting my wife, getting my various jobs, having children and family, watching over my children, 100,000’s of miles driving on roads and highways, mission trips to Nigeria, Nicaragua and Juarez, Mexico… my list goes on and on. And how many times did God step in to save me without me ever knowing it.

I wonder, I meditate, and I thank God for the seen and unseen times His hand of mercy has watched over and protected me…

I hope you can and do, do the same…

My protector, redeemer, God and friend I praise You. I worship You. I thank and adore You. I pledge my life to You as a thank offering for all You have done in my life.

Praise You Lord God Jehovah! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment