Saturday, February 2: Genesis 29- To be loved.

Reading this story slowly, I am stunned by the interpersonal complexities and problems. In present day vernacular these people have ‘issues.’

I found myself particularly wondering about Leah. As an unmarried older daughter with ‘weak eyes’ she seems to be somewhat of an outcast. Her father, Laban, has flocks, so he is a man of means. To not have been able to marry his daughter off says to me that there is something going on. And the way dad deceptively married her off, confirms her ‘unwantedness’ by suitors and probably family. What must it have been like growing up as the ignored child, the one no one wanted? Leah must have carried scars into the marriage.

Jacob does nothing to cure this hurt. Instead he apparently reinforced it. The text reminds us that she was unloved. God opens her womb and she gives Jacob four sons.  Still he doesn’t love her. Leah is doing everything she can to earn Jacob’s love… to earn someone’s love.

As I penned those last words, my thoughts flipped to God. God loved her, which is why he opened her womb. I found myself delighting in how amazing it is to be loved unconditionally by the Lord. We don’t have to earn God’s love. He gives it freely in Jesus!

Not everyone knows this. Too many people think we have to earn God’s love and this is reinforced because we have to earn the love of other humans. How difficult that is… earning ones love. It may work for awhile, but the threat of one false move constantly hangs over us.  Will the other person take back or remove his/her love?

We don’t have to worry about this with the Lord. His love is unconditional.

I sat and pondered the deep, deep love of God for us… as refreshing as a cool stream during a strenuous hike.

Thank you, Lord God, for Your love, so rich and unconditional. What a contrast Your love is to the love of most people in the world around me. What can I say but ‘thank You’. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment